“Oh Kale Yeah!”
I’m just going to say it. I love kale. I love it! I like it sauteed, steamed, blended into other foods, and on its own. I’ll eat it anyway I can get it. My favorite preparation by far, though, is kale chips.
I’ve never bought kale chips in a store, though. I refuse to pay $6.99 for a four ounce bag. Instead, I make them myself. Usually, I’ll toss them in olive oil, add a few dashes of salt and garlic powder, throw them in the oven, and voila! Kale chips for way less money than anything you can buy in the store.
They key to baking great kale chips, is to bake them low and slow. I’ll usually bake them at 275 degrees, for about 30-60 minutes. I just eyeball the time. When they’re darker in color (but not burned) they’re done.
The Vegan Wow’s Kale Chips
- 1 bunch of kale, washed
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Destem the kale and tear it into bite size pieces. Place kale pieces into a large bowl.
- Add olive oil, garlic powder, and salt.
- Toss until all kale is thoroughly coated.
- Spread kale on a parchment-lined baking sheet in one thin layer. Make sure that the kale pieces are not piled onto the sheet. You may need to use two or even three baking sheets.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, check the kale every 5 minutes. The chips should be darker in color (but not black or burned!)
- Remove from the oven promptly and place into a bowl to serve.
So there’s my recipe. Simple, but delicious. When I’m feeling adventurous, I’ll check out some of my favorite blogs for new ideas.
Kale Chips Sent Straight from Heaven
I found an absolutely amazing recipe for kale chips from Little Green Dot. They’re called the Best Ever Kale Chips, and they live up to their name. OMG they are good. I couldn’t stop eating them right out of the oven. In fact, I ate so many that I hardly had enough to serve for dinner!
Head on over to the Little Green Dot blog and check out the recipe. I promise you will not regret it!